Thursday, March 21, 2013

I Want My World To Know

  I hate talking about myself.  No, really.  'Hate it.  Chances are, you'll never get a Christmas letter from me about all the uninteresting things I've done during the previous year (unless you received one when I was required to write them during my first marriage.  Note that I said "first" marriage.  Thus the weight of my aversion to tooting my own horn).
  So why blog?  For strictly strategic reasons.  I've always written--whether for personal escapist enjoyment, or to earn a journalism-funded stipend.  But I have never made a concerted effort to be published to the masses.  Until last fall.  I penned my first short story, "The Entertainers," and submitted it with high hopes and crossed fingers.
  'Still hoping...and wondering if my fingers are going to stay this way when and if I finally untangle them.  I've gotten almost as many rejections as I did from potential suitors during my awkward teen years.  Maybe they don't want to ruin a good friendship.  Maybe it's not me, maybe it's them.  Maybe they're seeing an upperclassman I don't know from a school in a different county. 
  Whatever the case, it hasn't discouraged me.  Well, not so much.  I've continued to write, and have submitted a second story; a third one will likely be sent out in a couple of days.  I recently received word that my flash fiction piece, "Cave Dwellers," was picked up and will soon receive online publication (I'll keep you posted when it drops). 
  And so this blog will be used in the most exploitative fashion to help call attention to my efforts.  If I can build a small army of enthralling followers (i.e. cult), perhaps I will capture the eye of a publisher who appreciates my undiscovered genius.  The infamous "If-I-Can-Make-All-Her-Friends-Think-I'm-Dreamy-She'll-Have-To-Go-Out-With-Me" move.  Don't act like you never tried it.
  Basically I'm using you, dear reader, to do my dirty work for me.  I can't really promise to compensate you for your efforts, as most of these publishing opportunities aren't paying gigs.  But I do remember the little people--I've been one all my life. You will receive a hearty thanks and a favorable mention on this page and all those that will allow it.
  So in the days and weeks to follow, if you find something you like here, please, by all means, make like we're at a summer camp sing-along and pass it on.  After all, it only takes a spark.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment